.

.

Poached Eggs 101

5/23/10


Until 2 days ago, I had never poached an egg. Like cooking an artichoke, it was a foreign process to me. Then I went to The Buffalo Club, a restaurant in Santa Monica. First of all, if you ever get the chance, go to there. A beautiful outdoor patio, Prohibition-style drinks, fried okra, and delicious mac & cheese are just some of the delightful things about this place. And if for no other reason, go to sample the Parmesan-Crusted Organic Local Farm Egg Salad. It's a poached egg, crusted in panko and Parmesan, and then deep fried. You can't see me, but I'm high fiving the air just thinking about it.

The next morning, with a slight hangover from drinking Bourbon, I decided to try it. Thanks WikiHow, you sure did make it easy! I bet most of you know how to poach an egg, but for virgins like I once was... here are some tips.

1. Bring water to a boil, but then TURN IT DOWN. You want the water just below boiling.

2. Add a dash of white vinegar to the water, and some salt. Helps with the appearance of the egg.

3. Right before you put the egg in, use a slotted spoon and stir the water in a circular motion, creating a whirlpool.

4. Crack egg first in small bowl, then drop it QUICKLY into center of whirlpool.

5. Leave in the water for 90 seconds-2 minutes. Doesn't it look like a jellyfish?



6. Use a slotted spoon to remove egg so that excess water drips out.


Those are my tips. I welcome any other tips you might have. And if you've ever deep fried a poached egg, please share! And by share I mean come over and make it for me.

6 comments:

Ashleigh said...

What a fabulous idea. I wonder what would happen if you poached, coated it, then baked it.

Ashleigh said...

What a fabulous idea. I wonder what would happen if you poached, coated it, then baked it.

Unknown said...

Hi Siri! Looks great, I am an egg scrambler, not an egg poacher. And sometimes I even mess those up! Anyway, I don't follow many food blogs, so happy to stumble across yours! I will definitely be following, looking forward to more deliciousness!

Indian Khana said...

Nice post dear...and poached looks gud and nice clicks

Valerie said...

I love Buffalo Club and this looks awesome! I've never tried poaching an egg either, but it sounds easy enough. I might have to try it next time I drink bourbon as well. ;)

xo
Valerie

Gorgeous Glam said...

These look delish! Great blog! xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger