.

.

Mushroom Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze

3/8/10


There's a restaurant in Santa Monica, R+D Kitchen, and they make the best Mushroom Meatloaf. I've only had it once, because I've only been there once, but it was enough to make me think of it every couple of days. I say this all of the time, but I wonder what it would be like to think thoughts that don't include food?

Balsamic... that's why their meatloaf is so good. Sweet balsamic, earthy mushrooms, rich, comforting meat. I tried to make my own version last night. And I think I did just fine, thank you very much...

Mushroom Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze
(Serves 4)

1 lb. ground turkey
1 T olive oil
1 T unsalted butter
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms (use a variety), chopped
Few sprigs thyme
Salt and pepper
3 T balsamic vinegar
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup grated Romano
2 slices bread (I used sourdough)
1 T milk
3/4 cup ketchup


In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add chopped shallot and minced garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.


Add chopped mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Pull thyme leaves off of the stem and add to mushrooms. Saute for 6-7 minutes.


Add 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Turn heat up to high and let balsamic thicken and reduce, a couple of minutes. Should turn into a glaze, like this:


Remove mushrooms from heat and let cool. Preheat oven to 375. Place bread in a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs. Add milk and pulse until combined. Place bread/milk mixture in large bowl.


To bowl, add ground turkey, egg (that has been lightly beaten), grated cheese, and cooled mushroom mixture.


Combine with hands. From into two loaves. Place loaves on baking sheet lined with foil (I use this because I hate cleaning).


In a small bowl, whisk together ketchup and remaining tablespoon of balsamic.


Spread ketchup/balsamic glaze over loaves.


Bake for 45-50 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MEATLOAF. This looks fab. Can't wait to try!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This looks delicious!! I was just thinking about meatloaf today, I think I'll be making this one soon!

iamchasingthirty said...

I honestly never knew you could make meatloaf sans pans. LOVE it. Totally going to do this one up come fall...

Samantha Ball said...

I made this for Shane last night and he nearly got down on one knee and proposed again. Holly crap, so yummy!! I even busted out the food processor we got for our wedding (that was October 3rd of last year, ha!)for the first time.

lisa said...

Thank you--delish--I added some additional spices and used Longhorn. Served with saffron rice. My boyfriend offered me his servancy the rest of the night :-)

Unknown said...

I love this meatloaf at R&D! This was not quite as moist and didn't have the wonderful juices that run off. Next time I will cook it for a shorter period of time.
Linda

Scott Willson said...

a tablespoon of milk seems irrelevant.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger