.

.

Minnesota Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup

3/8/16


If someone asks me where I'm from, I always say Minnesota.  Technically, I was born in California, and then I spent a big chunk of time in Connecticut before moving to the Midwest when I was 9 years old.  I lived in Minnesota until I graduated high school and never moved back, not even 10 years spent there and yet, I still feel like that's where I'm "from."  Sometimes I wonder why that is?  Is it because most of my concrete memories are from that time?  Or because I formed so many close friendships that are still strong today?  Maybe it's because I called soda "pop" for many years, or because I still crave Bruegger's Bagels even though I can get a true east coast one whenever I want.  Or is it because my mom still lives there, in the same house we grew up in?  (Even though she's slooooowly spring cleaning, packing up, and asking us if we want Dumbo on VHS.) 

It's probably all of those things and more... so whenever something is associated with Minnesota, I feel a certain alliance with it, like this recipe.  Oh, a Minnesota Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup?  Well, I'm FROM THERE, so I need to make it.  Also, I will make anything with caramelized mushrooms and heavy cream.  This was SO GOOD.  Rich, creamy, hearty... proving us Minnesotans know how to eat.  I mean, we fry Snickers bars and put them on a stick and sell them at our state fair, duh.  


3 comments:

Paige King said...

I have the same EXACT feelings about MN! :) I grew up in Eagan also, and did live there my whole life until I was 18...but I have now lived in MT for over 10 years....and yet still MN is and will always be HOME <3
I can't wait to try this recipe!
Thanks for representing the homeland, you do it SO well!!!

Kristen Norton said...

This looks amazing!! My dad's side of the family are all Minnesotans, and we just got back from our first trip there since having kids. I don't know what it is, but I feel like I could hug everyone I meet from MN...nicest darn people dontcha know ;). And I agree, you do represent so well :)

Unknown said...

I grew up in Eagan too! We now live in WI but I get giddy over returning to the Twin Cities for a weekend here or there. And the MN State Fair!!! Sweet Martha's Cookies will always have a special place in my heart. Can't wait to try this recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger