.

.

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies

4/23/13



I have been working on a cookbook as an auction item for my son's preschool.  For someone who gets giddy over both food and organizing projects, it has been a very enjoyable experience, especially discovering what each four-year-old in his class loves to cook and eat.  One little girl, after my own heart, turned in a cookie recipe that stirred my interest because, let's face it, every cookie recipe stirs my interest.  You'd think my bucket list was simply: Bake 797 different kinds of Chocolate Chip Cookies (and I will, oh, I will).  This particular recipe was gluten-free, something I've never tried before, and something a few readers have requested lately.  Don't get used to it, as you know, this is not a blog that meets many dietary needs (but for more gluten-free cooking, see this site).  However, these cookies were delicious.  I would make them any day of the week.  I added oatmeal to mine, which probably isn't gluten-free?  I don't know, but I'm sure they make gluten-free oatmeal if it isn't.  They make gluten-free, dairy-free, environmentally friendly hybrid vehicles.


Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes roughly 2 dozen)

2 cups brown rice flour (Bob's is a good one)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup organic vegetable shortening (Spectrum's is a good one)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  In a bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  With a mixer, cream together shortening and both sugars.  Add eggs, one at a time, and then vanilla.  Add flour mixture and combine.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Scoop rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes.  *The key to gluten-free baking is the timing: there is a fine line between under done and burnt to a crisp.  




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I actually have brown rice flor that i don't know what to do with. I may try this!

Zoë said...

I bake a lot of gluten-free goodies(unless I'm making something for a party and then bring on that cake flour!) and these looks so delicious! As for oats, there are companies, like Bob's that have areas dedicated to their GF products so that they can be super safe for anyone with allergies. Yum!

tara said...

That is so awesome you are making a cookbook for his class! What a cool idea.

Gluten free cooking is hard! A cookie that tastes good? You are a master chef!

Linda said...

Yum... I want to bite that last picture !!!

Anonymous said...

Can you substitute the shortening with butter ?

Siri said...

Yes, you can certainly substitute with butter!

Terrea said...

Why are there oats in the bowl, but not in the recipe? Please let me know before I try these....I am GF

Siri said...

Terrea - I added oats to mine, but they are not in the recipe. I have no idea if oats are gluten-free or not :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger