.

.

Meyer Lemon Muffins with Lemon Glaze

1/10/13


My thumb is not green.  Not even a little bit.  In fact, my thumb has red gel nail polish from before Christmas that NEEDS TO BE REMOVED.  Anyway, no green thumb... I murder plants.  It always seems like such a good idea... ooo, I'll plant an herb garden or, ooo, I'll buy and care for this basil plant, or ooo, how hard can it be to grow tomatoes.  And then weeks or months go by and I remember things that grow need water.  Fail.  However, in Southern California, it's pretty impossible to screw up a lemon tree.  We have a Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree in our backyard, and apparently it's thriving with or without my help... 


So I picked some, and yes my Christmas tree is still up.  SOMEONE COME AND TAKE IT DOWN.


I decided to make muffins - a somewhat healthier alternative to lemon bars or cookies.  I think?  I suppose when you dredge each muffin in a lemony, sugary glaze all "health" is thrown out the window.  Once again, sorry if you've made resolutions (but these are worth it).  


Meyer Lemon Muffins with Lemon Glaze
(Makes 12 muffins)
Slightly adapted from Let Them Eat Cake

Muffins:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T lemon zest
2 eggs
3/4 cup greek yogurt
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Glaze: 
3 (or more) T lemon juice
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a mixer until smooth and fluffy.  Add vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix until combined.  Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until well incorporated.  Add greek yogurt and mix until just combined.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.  Add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined, do not over-mix (this will result in a dense muffin).  Place in muffin tins lined with paper (or greased).  Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden on top.  


While baking, whisk together ingredients for glaze.  It will be slightly thick, which is ok because it will melt slightly over your warm muffins.  Once baked, let muffins cool for a few minutes before spooning glaze over.  Serve warm or at room temp.  


7 comments:

Audra said...

So- you can send me some of those beautiful Meyer Lemons ANYTIME.

Also- I love these and will probably be trying them soon!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

So I'm sitting here thinking I need to get some produce from the store. I should get some Meyer lemons but what should I do with them? Thanks for being in my head :) These bad boys are being made ASAP!

Oh and I'm insanely jealous of your lemon tree!

Linda said...

Thanks for the recipe!!! Yummy!!!

tara said...

I love lemon!! No resolutions here, thanks.

So cool you have a lemon tree, especially Meyer. They are the best lemons.

The Saucy Secretary said...

Can you please leave some lemons on a street corner, so I can drive by and snatch them up?! These look delicious!

Emily B. said...

Alright Miss Siri- You have two kiddos right? One being just months old?? I have a 7 month old and a 5 year old. I have followed your blog for months now and haven't looked back!! But how do you have time to make these delicious treats?? I need to step up my game, but don't have the energy :)

Emily B. said...

See, I can't even punctuate correctly. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger