.

.

Guacamole 101

7/7/10


I have been making guacamole for a very long time. Along with chocolate chip cookies and Pop Tarts, guac was one of the first dishes I attempted on my own. Over the years, many people have influenced how I make it. Most significantly... my dad, Paradise Cove (in Malibu) and my boyfriend's mom. My dad taught me the basics, Paradise Cove taught me to add oregano and my boyfriend's mom taught me about the magnificent addition of Parmesan cheese.

I made it last night for some friends and tried my darndest to write down quantities so I could give you guys a recipe, but it's impossible. For me, making guacamole is all about tasting and adding, adding and tasting. So instead of a specific recipe, here are my Guacamole 101 tips...

For 4 avocados, I use 1 bunch of green onions, white and most of the green parts, chopped...


1 medium tomato, diced...


Fresh lime juice to taste...


Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese... no one can tell it's in there and it gives it that "WHY IS THIS SO GOOD?!" quality.


Then chopped cilantro, a dash of oregano, garlic salt and red pepper flakes (optional). The most important ingredients are the lime juice and garlic salt, if you ask me. I start out conservatively with the two, I taste, and then I add more and more until it's perfect.

6 comments:

Gorgeous Glam said...

Yumm! One of my favorite dishes! I always add a little dash of cumin, my grandmother from Jalisco always did that. Gives it that something extra! xoxo

Maki said...

I Love Love Love Guacamole and yours look delicious! I still remember when my friend made the simplest Guacamole and that was the best I ever tasted, but I must try your recipe:)

Mary Boldischar said...

We've been using this guac recipe:

4 ripe avocados
1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 limes, juiced
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 jalapeno, finely chopped

But yours sounds better - will have to try. Have you ever made your own tortilla chips? I made some for the first time this weekend - SO GOOD.

Jessi Kaufman said...

I'm totally going to try the addition of Parm. cheese. I mean, we're midwest girls...of course it's gonna be better with cheeese! BTW, I made your roasted miso shrimp last night. Umm...it was so good! So THANKS!

Unknown said...

Guacamole is my second favorite dip of all time! There really is nothing better then sitting outside, cracking open a corona and chowing down on some guac!!! mmmm... great, now I'm hungry!

Unknown said...

Hands down one of my favorite things in the Whole World!GUACAMOLE! I keep it really simple - chopped onion, cilantro, tomato, S&P. sometimes hot pepper minced - I love your cheese!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger