.

.

The First Meal of The Year

1/4/11


Until last night, I had not cooked a meal since December 17th. That is like a full year in dog age. Maybe. Well, for someone who cooks almost daily, it is a LONG time. So last night I decided to make a simple meal, to ease my way back into the kitchen. Baked salmon in tinfoil with lemon, capers and shallots. Couscous with toasted pine nuts and feta. Broccolini sauteed in garlic.

It sounded simple enough, but you should have seen me. I was an awkward mess. How do you cut a shallot again? I can't get this burner to turn on. This fish is still raw, can I send it back? Oh, right, I cooked it.

It all worked out in the end. And today I will attempt something a wee bit more challenging. Like showering.

Place salmon in tinfoil, season with salt and pepper, top with sliced lemon, shallot and capers, sprinkle with olive oil. Tent salmon with tinfoil, bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees.


Trim stems of broccolini, place in boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes, drain.


Saute for 5 minutes in olive oil and 2 cloves of chopped garlic, season with salt and pepper.


In a small saucepan, saute pine nuts and chopped shallots in a small amount of olive oil, set aside.


Prepare couscous as directed (I always cook mine in chicken stock instead of water), add sauteed pine nuts/shallots and feta. Season to taste.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, looks like a great start to the new year! I made your cranberry/avacado salsa over the holidays and it was FAB!!! So so good, thanks!

Gretchen said...

Welcome back :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger