.

.

Pork Stew with Hard Cider, Pearl Onions and Potatoes

12/8/10

My mom has been visiting us for a couple of weeks, and last night she cooked us dinner!


It was magnificent, and I asked her to tell you fine people about it. So she did...

"We bought a bottle of Calvados (apple brandy) to make a cider gravy for Thanksgiving, so I wanted to find another way to use it. Bon Appetit came through for me again, with a pork stew with hard cider, pearl onions, and potatoes (February 2010). I made a few changes to the recipe, by using a pork loin roast which the butcher prepared for me, shortened the cooking time by about a half hour...


...and also used 3 kinds of pearl onions (red, yellow and white) and slowly sauted them separately in butter and olive oil until nicely browned, adding them to the stew at the last minute.


I tried a bottle of the hard apple cider to drink while cooking, but decided I wasn't a fan. Siri also told me it reminded her of high school :)


I seved the stew with a bottle of Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley Vineyards. I have to admit having serious doubts about how this was going to turn out, and based on it's lack of color (boring grey) was very doubtful. I was pleasantly surprised that it tasted great (Siri, Carson and their friend, Daniel, all liked it too!)

(apples and potatoes...)


(turnips, shallots and sage...)


No picture of the final product, we ate it too fast! Check out the recipe HERE. Thanks Mom, it was nice to have the night off and it was delicious!

(Totally OD'd on Hard Cider in high school, gross.)

2 comments:

agalandherdog said...

I've had way too much hard cider in my day too. Your mom is super cute! How sweet of her to cook dinner for everyone.

Viva Italia said...

Gee, Gretchen, I don't think I understand the recipe...how about coming back home and making it for me??? ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger