.

.

Chipotle Pancetta Cornbread

3/25/10


I love bacon. I don't eat enough bacon in my life. Wait, strike that, reverse, yes I do. I eat more bacon than I should, yes, that's what I meant to say. But life is short, right?! Especially when you eat lots of bacon.

Pancetta is one of my favorite forms of bacon. I love finding new homes for pancetta. I came across a recipe for Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread in my daily recipe perusal, and thought, pancetta would be a happy replacement for the bacon! Also, since I seem to have an excess of chipotles in my fridge, I decided to swap those for the jalapenos.

There you have it, my friends, Chipotle Pancetta Cornbread. It just came out of the oven and I haven't tasted it yet, but I will report back.

Chipotle Pancetta Cornbread
Recipe adapted from Baking Illustrated
(Serves 9)

2 T unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tsps sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup milk
1 minced chipotle in adobe
3 oz. pancetta, chopped
Olive oil


Preheat oven to 425. Butter a square baking dish. On stovetop, saute chopped pancetta in a small amount of olive oil until crispy. Remove onto paper towel and save for later.


In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Press dry ingredients to side of bowl, creating a well.


Crack eggs into well and stir gently.


Add buttermilk and milk and stir until just combined. Finally, add melted butter and stir again. The word STIR looks funny when you write it over and over. Careful not to over-stir!


Add minced chipotle and cooled pancetta and, guess what, STIR IT UP! Place batter in greased baking pan.


Bake for 25 minutes.


Two final things...
1. I plan on making Chicken Tortilla Soup tonight, and serving this bread on the side.
2. That is not my arm above. I do not have a bacon tattoo. But I do not judge those that do.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger