.

.

Homemade Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (sans machine)

5/18/12


All this time, I've been sitting here feeling sorry for myself.  Watching you make ice cream with your fancy machines and rubbing it in my face.  (Listen, I know they're relatively inexpensive these days and I could get one, but I'm lazy and like to feel sorry for myself.)

But yesterday, this how-to article changed my life FOREVER.  How to make ice cream without a machine!!  Without one!  It's simple!  And, and, AND, it's the most delicious, creamy, lusciously rich and flavorful ice cream you'll ever have.    


Sure, you're making trips to the freezer every 30 minutes for many, many hours (the article said 2-3 but mine took longer to get to the right consistency) - but on a hot summer day, what's better than practically climbing into your freezer to make ice cream?  

All you need are egg yolks, sugar, whole milk and heavy cream.  Yeah, I know.  I decided to try out this vanilla custard base (using 8 egg yolks instead of 5 shhhhh), and then I added chocolate chips later.  

Below is a vanilla bean infusing in milk and sugar...


Stirring the egg yolks with the milk and vanilla...


Combining everything with the heavy cream over an ice bath...


Starting to freeze...


Adding chocolate chips...



Ice cream for breakfast...

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Looks delicious. And sounds healthy for breakfast, with all of those eggs :)

Linda said...

Years ago...my best friends mom gave me cereal, some milk, and a scoop of ice cream on top for breakfast.....memories yum!!!

Mia said...

um, awesome! my cupboards and drawers in the kitchen are filled to an embarrassing degree (and a dangerous degree, really) so the last thing i have room for is a freaking ice cream maker. this is fabulous! i'm totally going to make this. thanks for posting!

Taylor B. said...

OMG! I happen to have all the ingredients to make this in my kitchen right now. Thanks for sharing!

Foodie Stuntman said...

An ice cream machine has been on my wish list too. Glad you found a way around it.

Jess said...

holy crap. this looks awesome. (i had an ice cream maker...pre- me deciding i would try and become a martha...and threw it away.) ugh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger