.

.

Transformer Red Velvet Cake

3/16/12


If you've been following my blog from the very beginning, then you know that every year on my son's birthday I obsess over his birthday cake.  It all began with a Rainbow which was followed by Brobee and, even though it wasn't my son's birthday, let's not forget Wubbzy.  It brings me joy and pride and usually a meltdown or two.  Not a toddler meltdown, a mommy meltdown, but would a cake even taste good if it wasn't baked with sweat and tears??  Probably.  Probably better.  

Age 3 is all about Transformers for Jack.  And rather than stress myself beyond belief trying to turn a cake into a robot, I thought I'd keep it simple this year.  Simple recipe and simple design...        


Red velvet cake and blue frosting to replicate the colors of OPTIMUS PRIME.  Felt like shouting there.


I made my own edible cake topper, similar to ones seen here and here.  Very simple to do, as long as you're okay with TMJ-inducing "I'm-concentrating-too-hard" panic attacks.  I like to use candy melts because they come in so many colors, but you could also melt white chocolate and dye it yourself.  I always prefer the double broiler melting method (place a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure liquid is not touching bottom of bowl, and stir constantly)...  


I found a Transformer logo online and printed it out, then placed clear parchment paper on top and taped both pieces to my cutting board.  I placed my melted candy in a plastic bag and cut just a TINY piece of the end off. The smaller the better!  Start by outlining your image and then use the back of a spoon to help you to smooth out the middle.  


I melted some white chocolate to fill in the spots that needed it, and so that it could be peeled off as one, cohesive piece once it hardened.  


Make sure you let it harden completely, and then place atop your cake!  Oops, mine was a little big.  Oops, it didn't matter.  I thought the mini M&M's were a nice touch for a child's cake, until Jack kept going over when no one was looking and eating them.  


Oh well, it was his birthday after all.  And I kept eating them too.
Have a happy weekend getting drunk on dyed beer!!  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks delicious!

agalandherdog said...

You are AMAZING! That is one of the best looking cakes I've ever seen!

Peter said...

That looks amazing! I wouldn't have known how to make a transformers cake if my son had such a request for his birthday. Thankfully he loves cars, so I could go for a simpler design :)
But now I know that I will rock his world when his next birthday comes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger